A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Monday, December 01, 2003

Day 3 - Port Fairy

Settled into the backpacker accommodation - we have a dorm and shared accommodation. It's very clean compared to some backpacker type places I have seen. I'm going to explore the town as soon as the rain stops - it was originally called Belfast, is about as old as Melbourne, and is home to the world's biggest mutton bird (short-tailed shearwater) community.

(Added later:) I wrapped up Sunday with a visit to the mutton bird colony on Griffiths Island where I couldn't help being impressed with the birds as they swooped in from the ocean to find their burrows by the thousands. It was a very cold, rainy walk around the coast - if you ever plan to do this I hope you have better than suitable rain gear!

A pop-blaring van full of Israeli young people was my transport home. I owe them one. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home