A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Sunday, November 30, 2003

Day 3 - Leaving Mt Gambier

I'm currently at Cape Bridgewater, 17km W of Portland, Victoria.

Awoke at 3:48am and took advantage of the early hour to see some of Mt Gambier's main attractions by night. First to Cave Gardens which was beautifully lit up for the occasion. It really did need more colours though, I think - the lights were just lights, and mixed-colour lighting like that in Fraser Avenue, Kings Park (see here or here) back home in Perth).

On the way back up, I was called over by two intoxicated teenagers to adjudicate a dispute between them (which I did seemingly to almost everybody's satisfaction). I don't know why they always choose me for these kind of things! :P

At 4:50am - it is a 6km walk with some uphill through residential streets, a fact not entirely clear from the tourist guides - I finally arrived at Umpherston Sinkhole. This is basically a cave whose roof collapsed at some point and it's basically a big hole in the ground with a lot of vegetation growing at the bottom and up the sides as the volcanic rock is very fertile. I stayed there through sunrise and listened to the birds' morning chorus and the dragonflies while looking at the lush gardens and the odd possum. I bailed on the way back, though, and got a taxi.

It's sad leaving Mt Gambier. I like it, which is odd given my general distaste for the state capital, Adelaide. But I seem to have this thing for small regional cities (Launceston, Katoomba, Mt Gambier) - I'd never want to live in one as I like my city creature comforts too much, but they're great for holidays.

At 10:30am I left Mt Gambier aboard Wayward Bus on a beautiful fine day - 26°C and clear skies, a nice change from the oppressive humidity yesterday. We crossed the border and headed for Nelson, just 3km inside Victoria, where we had lunch. Shane, our driver, provided an excellent salad lunch which was all gone by the time we finished.

Then we were off to Cape Bridgewater. I didn't go on the Seals by Sea boatride this time round (I ended up in the water last time!) and am enjoying an R&R break at the Beach Cafe, which sells unexpectedly good gourmet food, with a stunning cliff scenery backdrop.

I've feasted on smoked salmon sandwiches and pancakes/icecream/maple syrup, so I won't need dinner tonight. It's just 15°C here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home