A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Saturday, November 29, 2003

Day 2 - Mt Gambier - Observations

I'm in jail! I even have my own cell. Unlike past occupants, however, my only crime was to pay $30 a night for accommodation at The Jail YHA here in Mt Gambier. My twin cell, er, room has a functioning sink and toilet, and even a copy of the jail rules from when this place was a functioning jail up until the mid-1990s. Free self-serve breakfast and a local butcher 2 buildings away - what more could one ask for?

Mt Gambier itself has a population of 27,000 and is SA's 2nd or 3rd largest city, depending on who you believe. My observations of it so far are of a modern, well-serviced city with largely psychotic young drivers (reflected in its road toll, 9 times that of Adelaide in relative terms). Even at 9:30pm the main street, Commercial Street East, was still quite busy - the place was reminiscent of Rokeby Road in Subiaco. At 12:00am, the pubs were still going, as were the young motorists.

It's VERY humid here and I hope it cools down soon.