A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Sunday, December 16, 2001

2001 Day 15 - Coming home.

I haven't updated here for a while as it's been either work or busy since I got back on Sunday night. We're not getting the entire Christmas break, I have to work every working day except Christmas Eve over the period 9-5, except NYE when I managed to negotiate 8-4.

Fun stuff, eh? I have left the parting Canberra side of things aside for a later time, but it was completely mental. I'll give you the 2 minute summary to keep you intrigued:

1. There is no public bus to the airport, and the shuttle does not run weekends. I was parting Canberra at 3:30pm on a Sunday.

2. I got a bus to the city and then another to an "industrial" area called Fyshwick.

3. Everybody on the bus reminded me of the front page of http://batemanimation.com (EDIT: now folded into Scott Bateman's other enterprises, page had deranged idiots bleating at each other randomly), they were all completely mental and had serious issues.

4. Attempting to get a taxi from Fyshwick, 2 suburbs from the airport, to the airport involved:
a. The phone ringing out twice
b. When I finally got through, having to argue with an unfriendly operator.
c. No cab for 10 minutes.
d. Having to use a mobile number for a driver which he'd given me earlier in the week to obtain a taxi, which promptly arrived.

The flight was easy enough, and I got to Perth at 7:50pm local time (10:50pm EDT, 11:50am GMT). Oh, and getting a regional airline when you are right next to the propeller is a bad idea - it's like sitting in front of a stroboscope for 45 minutes and I couldn't see when I got off in Melbourne Airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home