A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Thursday, December 06, 2001

2001 Day 4 - Adelaide

Finally got into a netcafe, so here goes ...

I woke up late, and in the rush managed to miss my bus, so had the Adelaide taxi experience. It was fun - the driver was a nice guy and it wasn't too expensive (it was $11 from where I was into the city).

So I get to the tour company, and there's like a minivan outside. I was kind of surprised, but yeah ... it turned out to be amazingly good, with only two others, myself and the driver/tour guide, Bruce. We got around the entire south of Fleurieu Peninsula in it, and it didn't have the limitations of a larger vehicle so we went into quite a lot of nice places. I saw lots of rolling countryside, nice big forested areas (very different to others I've seen as Adelaide is a much drier climate than both Perth and Sydney) and huge, undulating beaches. I had a brilliant meal in the town of Victor Harbor (it was started as a US whaling post, hence the spelling), and had a ride on Australia's only horse-drawn tram. The driver had a great sense of humour and at times quite jokingly turned on the whole Russell Coight touring guide voice. More later... I found out that Wayward also have an Adelaide-Melbourne tour via the Great Ocean Road, might be interesting for a future point in time.

Then I got back to Adelaide (the tour guide deposited me right at Najjar's Cafe in North Adelaide) and I had a great evening out with my Adelaide friend Andrew L, was a great chat and good food too.

When I got back I phoned Jon but the mobile network kept playing up so the convo was very fragmented towards the end... I then had my last night's sleep in Adelaide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home