A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Sunday, November 11, 2007

2007 Day 1 - Arrival in Melbourne

Flight over
Well, I'm off again over east to have more adventures. The adventure started minutes after the commencement of the flight when my MP3 player ceased to work (Update: It's started working again after landing - weird.) As a result I watched a far-more-than-healthy number of Tom and Jerry cartoons on the inflight entertainment while enjoying a lunchbox of food prepared by my dad. Yay for Virgin Blue! Flight path was almost a straight line - we had a great view of Perth and South Perth before turning east, unfortunately I wasn't in a window seat so couldn't snap it. One bit of light entertainment during the flight was a guy a few in front of me who spent about half an hour arranging his dreadlocks.

Arrival
Got the Skybus, realised my MP3 player did work after all and listened to Butterfly Effect on the way in - is weird arriving in a major city at sunset. Got to my accommodation at 8:30pm only to find out the only bed in the place, which they'd allocated me, was an upper bunk. Now as some of you might remember, while I can power walk for hours without grief, with two dislocated knees from my teens, I am just not able to haul myself over the threshold into one of those things - especially with the single-bar steps they provide for them. So after considerable negotiation they managed to plonk a folding bed with a mattress into some people's room on the top floor. I aim to sort this out today.

Food variety is just as I remembered it :) I feasted on a vegetable tempura bigger than a Hungry Jacks whopper, a tuna handroll and roti bread for the sum total of just $6.50. Just to remind me why Melbourne is my favourite city (Perth is still my fave place to live though :)... Went and saw Ratko (long term readers might remember Chris in the same spot some years ago) singing and playing guitar under Flinders Street Station for around half an hour.

Let's hope Day 2 is an improvement.

1 Comments:

Blogger RC-0722 said...

No such thing as a more than healthy amount of Tom & Jerry (but that just might be my bias to slapstick).

11:53 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home