A young Australian's views on travelling Australia and the world.

Sunday, October 10, 2004

Day 80-83 - Singapore - End of world trip.

Sunday 10 October 2004, 14:00 Singapore time

Well, it's finally over. In just over 4 hours, I hop on a plane, and 83 days, 4 hours and 25 minutes after I left Perth for Auckland, I arrive back in Perth having circled the world. I miss my home city, but I feel sad now that this adventure is coming to an end. It's been an experience, and one that has changed me in a lot of ways that I'll probably only fully appreciate after I get back to a normal routine, working, saving money and seeing my friends.

My favourite places have been, in no particular order: Auckland, Vancouver, Vienna and Singapore (along with Melbourne and Perth).

People have been curious to know what I think of Singapore - apart from the fact I am totally not acclimatised to the weather (32C and humid every day), this place is amazing. Food is cheap, and now that I know how to use it, the public transport is amazing and gets you anywhere on the island. The tropical scenery and surprisingly clean streets make for a certain experience. The smells remind me a little of Hawaii, as the vegetation is in some ways similar. I've been to the Museum of Asian Civilisations, Sentosa Island and the National Orchid Garden - I would have done far more but I am tired after 12 weeks of holidaying out of a bag, and I think my health is still recovering from Turkey.

I'm definitely planning on coming back here - possibly as a 2-3 week domestic trip incorporating Melbourne, Auckland and a bit more of New Zealand, and Singapore, which is quite doable from Perth. I'll have to see what it costs though.

Anyway, my money is being extended to new lows right now, so I have two minutes left at the net cafe. See you all back in Perth!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home